Madeira is one of many destinations were Ecotourism plays an important part.
Many organizations on Madeira say that they promote Ecotourism, but unfortunately not many of them realize what Ecotourism really stands for:
Ecotourism, also known as ecological tourism, is a tourism market based on an area’s natural resources that attempts to minimize the ecological (negative) impact of the tourism. This is achieved through responsible travels to natural areas that conserves the environment and sustains the well-being of the local people. (TIES, 1990)
See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ecotourism
In order to practice and support these goals Nature Meetings has become member of an international Eco organization.
Due to the conditions within the Eco Industry, Nature Meetings takes this membership extremely serious and to ensure that all the requirements are met. Before promoting this facility Nature Meetings is investigating every aspect:
- Nature Meetings has started sharing vehicles with other companies, collecting all staff members into 1 vehicle, performing changes into the vehicles to reduce the damaging gasses and usage of a minimum amount of vehicles for its clients;
- The materials that are used for its services are reviewed and replaced, such as recycle batteries for the torches, picnics (recycled paper bags, local and organic ingredients);
- Reducing unnecessary entrance into the natural environment;
- Collect any waste during the services and walks;
- Using local facilities for their clients.
To share our passion for Ecotourism, we are currently looking at projects that we can start to implement environmentally friendly services, such as:
A. Nature maintenance.
B. Reduction of traffic.
Our goal is to commit ourselves to promote and take a leading role in the development of an island-based Ecotourism industry on Madeira.